09 April, 2010

21 days of Mono-Meals

So... Yesterday I started on 21-days of mono-meals. It is explained here. I have been vegan for about three years, now, and mostly raw for most of that. I have released 70 pounds and have made great improvements in my health. But when I saw this, I thought I could improve more, at least for three weeks. So I took the plunge, and decided to do it.

I can see that it will not be particularly easy, at least not at first. For one thing, I am a saltaholic. But I know I can make improvements there, if I try. Secondly, I do have to prepare food for others from time to time, and will be sorely tempted to partake of those things, too. On the other hand, I can just eat the same thing one at a time, rather than mixed, and still be ok. However, I know that I am going to really enjoy being able to taste the food in its pure, unadulterated state, which most of us have not done for a very long time. I am looking forward to the adventure...

Now, I usually start my day with a lemon-ginger blast and a green smoothie, however, those are not mono-meals, so I will have to forego them for these three weeks, and get back to it when this is done. I think I will really miss them.

So yesterday, I started with sole. Then I had a couple of ripe bananas. They tasted really good to me. I took a gallon of water to work with me, so I could stay hydrated throughout the day, but with all the fruit I planned to eat, I probably would not need that much. At noon I had a couple of large organic Delicious apples. I usually salt my apples -- yeah, I know -- but I did not, and you know, they really were Delicious. Later I had some tomatoes, after that, some lettuce -- now that was strange without anything else, and without dressing, but it was oddly tasty. I think I could get used to it. A bit later I had some cubed jicama, and that was so crispy, juicy and sweet, I couldn't imagine eating it any other way... After a while I had an avocado, and lastly, some almonds that I had soaked and dehydrated. I really ate an enormous amount of food, but come this morning, I had released 3/4 pound. :-)

You may notice that I started with fruit and worked toward more heavy things throughout the day. That is because fruit goes through the digestive system very quickly, and heavier things take longer. So if you put the heavier things in first, they block the way of the lighter things, and can cause gas and bloating. That would not be fun.

So it was a good day food-wise. I did have a headache this morning; I think it might have been a cleansing effect. So I had 1/8 tsp of cayenne in a glass of distilled water, and the headache was gone in just a few minutes.

Today, I packed a little less food -- I thought that with the avocado and the nuts, I was getting a bit too much fat. So again, after four minutes of stretching exercises, I started with sole, and a couple of bananas. For lunch some juicy grapes, and then some blueberries. I tried to leave about an hour between each snack to allow time for what I ate to get out of my stomach before eating again. Then some Romaine, and I again found it quite yummy all by itself. I am about to have some tomatoes, and later I will have more jicama and another avocado. That will do it for today, and I am totally not hungry nor do I feel deprived, and I have plenty of energy.

I am feeling great on this, the second day of mono-mealing.

More tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment